Monday, February 7, 2011

"Commodity, Firmness, & Delight" BP3

       On Friday I was sick and couldn't go on the walk around campus, so I ended up going to the the three buildings alone. I think it was good that I went alone because I was able to spend time at/in/around those places and fully take in their architectural layout.


       The MHRA building has been one of my favorites since I toured UNCG before freshman year. I believe that it has a very high "Commodity, Firmness, and Delight" rating. The MHRA building is a place where students can go and study humanity . Humanities studies include things like language, law, history, literature, religion, the arts, and much more, all of which are incredibly important in our lives today. Constructed of brick, stone, glass, metal, sheet rock, and plaster, this piece of architecture is very stable. It features beautiful, doric, columns outside the building that enhance it's stability and appearance.

 The MHRA building is located on the corner of campus which symbolically emphasizes it's importance. The main entrance is a tall cylinder, marking it as a "sacred spot." Windows cover the walls of the cylinder, allowing as much light as possible enter the building. The floor has a beautiful design made of tile, granite, and stone. Because of it's usefulness, architecture, and aesthetic appeal I believe that the MHRA building is one place on campus with acceptional "Commodity, Firmness, and Delight."  





1 comment:

  1. Adrienne, I appreciate the time you took to create a cohesive response, with the detail of "the MHRA' nestled neatly between the two visuals and also that you covered the bases of commodity, firmness, and delight. However, I feel that you could push these aspects even further. For example, what is the commodious function of having a circle at the entrance? Does it provide better circulation and uniformity? Also, you mentioned the columns are of the doric order. How does this relate to the cultures of the past? Just a few tidbits to ponder. Overall, nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete